Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Roman Reflections


For me, at least, being in Rome, actually in Rome, the ancient capital of the Roman Empire, home to the Pope himself, where all roads lead to, didn't hit me until the last two days.

Day 1? Sure, the airport was weird but everyone spoke English, it was no problem. In the end, airports are airports, regardless of how many Foosball tables are in there (Undefeated in airport Foosball, by the way). The Jewish synagogue and the Jewish Quarter were interesting to learn about, and a new view of the Holocaust through a local, Roman, context. The Colosseum and the Arch of Constantine were incredible, but seemed, in a way, not there. Somehow, I didn't fully make the connection that THAT Colosseum and THAT Arch were erected so long ago. Somehow, with the swarms of tourists and multilingual signs, it didn't seem so ancient. The Borghese Museum and the Scavi had this similar problem of, in a way, being too accessible, too modern for it to fully sink in.

This lasted until yesterday. It began to fall apart in the Vatican Museum. First, seeing the casual disregard, the kind of lackadaisical lumping of a bunch of statues into a couple rooms, all priceless Roman copies of Greek works, boggled my mind. I began to give poor Sebastian, Richard, and whoever was within earshot a impromptu history lesson, focusing on the famous Athenians or Romans (largely) depicted. The Sistine Chapel, in its breath-taking beauty that caused me to skirt around the strict “NO PHOTO” rule about 5 times, intensified this effect on me, bringing me into Rome. Something I had only seen in video games, movies, read of in books, was in front of my eyes, in all of its original glory. It blew my mind.

I was barely putting my brain back together when we headed over to the Papal Audience. I had been looking forward to this, because, you know, its the Pope, the Holy Vicar of Christ on Earth, the Head of the Catholic Church, known literally throughout the world, kind of a big deal. When I saw him walking down the aisle, and could look over to see the familiar view of Pope Francis on the TV, then move my head a bit and see him walk in person (!!!) made it real.

Oh my God. I was in Rome. THAT Rome. With the Romans. And Augustus. And Julius. And Trajan. And Hadrian. THAT Rome. With the Pope. And the Vatican. And the Pantheon. THAT Rome.

This near-complete brain paralysis, expectedly, got worse. Heading outside Rome to the Ostia Antica, seeing the ruins, the ROMAN ruins, drove it further in. And all the experiences came rushing in. This trip, and the incredible experiences I have been able to experience because of it, really only just hit.
I stood in the Roman Forum. I sat in the Colosseum. I petted a cat in a Roman port. I saw the Sistine Chapel. I saw Bernini's probably and half of all Carvaggio ever made. I saw the bones of St. Peter. I 
saw the Pope, the freaking Pope! In person!

Now, with the aid of an extraordinary full stomach and maybe some of that grappa, I'm finally coming to terms with the incredible nature of this trip. I would like to thank all of the Honors students, for being amazing and flexible travel companions, willing to deal with everything from a extraordinarily stressed Matt at an airport to a bunch of stray cats requiring petting. Thank you. I would also like to thank Drs. Hinson-Hasty, both of them, for the amazing trip. This trip would not be possible without you two, and to call both of you incredible guides and helpers is merely the tip of the iceberg. Thank you. Finally, I would like to thank the Honors Program, for both providing this opportunity to do this trip and to streamline it so so many could come. Great job!

This was an incredible experience, so I am going to go to sleep so I can soak in more tomorrow. See you all tomorrow.


-Matt Kondrat  


No comments:

Post a Comment