Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Buon Appetito!

One of my top priorities when traveling to a new place is finding - and, of course, sampling - the best local food. Eating your way through a city is one tasty way to get to know it. I've found that I can learn a lot about the culture and philosophy of a place by trying food that represents its people, its geography, its way of life, or its history.

Coming to Rome, a city steeped in history, I was excited to try all the food that Italy is famous for. I'd been looking forward to authentic Italian pizza, pasta, tiramisu, and so much more for weeks leading up to the trip. As a vegetarian, I was a little bit skeptical of being able to find something to eat at every restaurant we visited. But Rome, with its trattorias, gelaterias, and pizzerias on every corner, did not disappoint.

One of my favorite meals (and it is so hard to pick a favorite!) of the trip sums up what I've learned about Rome from its food. On Wednesday we visited Ostia Antica, the site of an ancient Roman port city. Away from the bustle of the city center, we had lunch at Ristorante Monumento, a local establishment dating back to 1884. For the main course, I had pasta al pomodoro (pasta with tomato sauce). For such a simple dish, it was absolutely delicious. For dessert, I had their tiramisu, which I would've eaten five servings of if I'd had room for it.

Besides the great food, the most important aspect of our lunch for me was the experience. The restaurant's host and chef greeted as us friends as we sat down at our table. Where we sat, we could see pictures on the wall of famous people who'd visited Monumento, like the Dalai Lama and Italian actress Sophia Loren. As I ate, I talked and laughed with my Bellarmine friends and got to know them better.

To put it briefly, I have found the food in Rome to be about welcoming community. I have felt at home in every restaurant we've visited even while I'm half a world away from my home in the states. Meals have been a time to share our experiences and reflect on the city's history that surrounds us in every place we visit, and this has brought us closer together as a group. I look forward to our last day in Rome and our farewell dinner with high hopes for building our little community and growing even more individually and collectively.

As we toast before every meal: Buon appetito!


No comments:

Post a Comment