Wednesday, December 20, 2017

McDonald's: An Allegory

Figure 1:
As a fast food aficionado who seeks a fine supply of charbroiled burgers, it was my obligation to discover the many “quick service restaurant” options that Italy has to offer. Upon my delight, signs depicting the golden arches were found at nearly every street corner, specifying the amount of leaps of joy it takes to go to the nearest McDonald’s restaurant establishment.

While the itinerary, unfortunately, allocated no reserved time for such a splendid fine dining experience, I sensed the presence of a nearby Mickey D’s upon exiting the Spagna metro station. Immediately, my senses ushered me to the doorsteps of this wonderful eatery. To my surprise, this McDonald’s location forced me to order food with self service kiosks, a rarity in the Ray Kroc-founded franchise chain. As I waited for my meal, containing a Big Mac, I witnessed an employee hollering an Italian phrase numerous times. I soon realized that it was my order once he repeated the phrase in my native tongue...

The Big Mac (shown in Figure 1). Compared to the American interpretation of this delightful feat of culinary engineering, the palette of ingredients remained wholly the same. It was the same ol’ Big Mac that we all love and cherish in the States. The main difference existed in the craftsmanship that the McDonald’s chefs manifested at this particular location. The meat retained a fair quantity of juiciness, unlike the dry, arid flavored patties occasionally produced by American franchisees. Overall, the burger’s composition and presentation were spot on, while the taste reminded me of the sweet, homely broiling of the McDonald’s locations I grew to adore back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment