Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Join me for a beer and a view


The first day here we were given an introduction to the hotel we are staying at, which included the detail of a terrace. I may be scared of heights, but I wouldn’t turn down a great view. Thus, that night I ventured up there with my roommate, Lexi. After exploring, we discovered two more levels above the main terrace. Essentially, you can view Rome from the sixth floor. We chatted for a bit, but we didn’t stay long as the wind was not our friend. I kept the place in memory, though, and I have visited almost every night. As I write this I’m enjoying a beer and a view.
From up here, Rome feels incredibly different but also the same. The sounds of traffic and the occasional hum of voices is the same as Louisville, but the air is so very Roman in ways I can’t explain. I may not have felt it that first night, but through the course of the trip I’ve started feeling it in the little things. It’s not the extravagant sites and exhibits that make me feel like I’m in Rome. It’s the loose traffic laws, hearing live music on the street, and the street food that make it feel Italian. It’s the hustle and bustle of the metro and constantly being pestered by street vendors that put mall kiosks to shame. Not to mention the illogical ecosystem Rome possesses of African trees, palm trees, seagulls, and small tropical birds. All of those small things come together to make Rome more than a tourist attraction, but a rich culture that belongs to many local residents.
Now, I’m out of beer and my fingers are frozen, so it’s time to conclude my blog and this night’s visit to the terrace. See you tomorrow night for one last time!

No comments:

Post a Comment