Friday, December 15, 2017

Bon Voyage!


Buona sera! From my parents' kitchen in Shelbyville, KY I write to you on the morning of the Roman' Knights' departure! If you can't tell from the use of two exclamation points in two sentences, I am excited. My suitcase and carry-on are parked by the door, taunting me with an unshakable feeling that I forgot something while my cellphone buzzes with last-minute questions being sent in our class group message. Normally I try to spend as much time with my family during the holidays as possible, but when will I have another opportunity to spend a week in Rome in December with friends under the guidance of seasoned travelers of Italy? With the semester ending, I haven't had time to feel nervous or excited. Now, sitting here with everything (I hope) packed and nothing to distract me, the pre-travel jitters have come forth in abundance! When I am nervous, I like to give myself jobs to distract my mind, but I think for now, with less than two hours before I need to be at airport, I will allow myself to live in the moment. To feel a little scared, a little sad that I won't see my family so close to Christmas, and to feel the excitement and wonder that accompany an adventure abroad. My goal for this trip is to be in the present and to absorb everything. I want to allow myself to embrace every mistake, every "good save" every irritation, every person, and every moment of awe and wonder. Roma, here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment